Does the DJI Go App take 360°spherical panoramas? The DJI Go app does not have a specific 360 degree spherical panorama shooting mode. However, it is still possible to capture a full 360 x 180°panorama using the DJI Go app.
The DJI Go app serves as the primary mobile app to control and view footage from DJI consumer drones like the Mavic, Spark and Phantom series. Its integrated camera features allow capturing photos, videos, hyperlapses and panoramas.
But one question owners often have is whether the DJI Go app is capable of taking full 360 spherical panoramas.
In this in-depth guide, XDrone covers the spherical photo capabilities of the DJI Go app, techniques to capture 360°panos, and the best workflows for processing these immersive images.
Let’s get started now!
What is the DJI Go App?
The DJI Go App is a mobile application that allows you to control your DJI drone and capture stunning photos and videos. It is compatible with a wide range of DJI drones, including the Mavic, Phantom, Inspire, and Osmo series.
The DJI Go App is packed with features that make it easy to fly your drone and capture high-quality footage. Some of the key features of the app include:
- A live view of the drone’s camera
- The ability to control the drone’s flight path and altitude
- A variety of automated flight modes
- A built-in editor for editing and sharing your photos and videos
The DJI Go App is a powerful tool that can help you get the most out of your DJI drone. Whether you are a professional photographer or just a hobbyist, the DJI Go App is sure to take your drone photography to the next level.
Here are some of the benefits of using the DJI Go App:
- Easy to use: The DJI Go App is very easy to use, even if you are a beginner. The app has a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy to find the features you need.
- Powerful: The DJI Go App is a powerful tool that can help you get the most out of your DJI drone. The app has a wide range of features that can help you capture stunning photos and videos.
- Versatile: The DJI Go App is compatible with a wide range of DJI drones, so you can use it with your existing drone or with a new one.
- Regularly updated: DJI regularly updates the DJI Go App with new features and improvements. This means that you can always be sure that you are using the most up-to-date version of the app.
What is an Overview of Panorama Capabilities in the DJI Go App?
The DJI Go app has a dedicated “Panorama” shooting mode accessible from the main app menu. This stitches together a series of photos for wide panoramic images.
There are two pano types available:
- Horizontal Panorama – Captures a wide panorama sweeping horizontally.
- 180° Panorama – Captures an elongated 180 degree half-sphere panorama.
While these allow capturing some panoramic photos, there is no dedicated 360 mode to shoot fully spherical 360° x 180° panoramas. However, it is still possible to capture and stitch 360°panoramas through some additional steps covered next.
What is the Technique to Capture 360°Panoramas with the DJI Go App?
Despite the lack of true dedicated support, DJI drone owners can still use the DJI Go app to capture 360 degree spherical panoramas by following this process:
- Set the camera to capture photos in RAW DNG format, not JPG. This maintains maximum image data.
- Take off and position your drone overhead with a bird’s eye view of the desired panorama location.
- Initiate the app’s normal Horizontal Panorama mode through the menu.
- Slowly yaw rotate the drone through a full 360° circle while keeping all other positioning steady.
- The panorama mode will automatically capture a series of overlapping RAW photos through the rotation.
- When complete, download the RAW photo set for processing later into a full spherical image.
While more involved than pushing just a 360 mode button, this workflow allows DJI drones to capture the necessary imagery to produce a full 360° panorama through the available app controls.
How Do You Process the Captured Images into a 360°Spherical Output?
After capturing a 360 panorama photo set following the steps above, you’ll need specialized software to process those RAW images into a full spherical equirectangular output:
- PTGui – Leading pano stitching software with trial available. Provides full spherical projection and stitching capability.
- Photoshop – Includes a “Merge to Panorama” function under Automate to generate 360 spherical output.
- Hugin – Open source panorama stitcher program can produce 360° output from RAW photo sets.
Use the software to import your DJI drone photos, arrange the set in proper sequence, set spherical projection parameters, automatically stitch the overlapping images together into a single 360 x 180°panorama, and export the final equirectangular output file.
What Are the Best Options for Viewing and Sharing 360°Photos?
The final step is viewing your completed 360°spherical panorama, and sharing for others to enjoy:
- Facebook & Google Photos – Enable spherical viewing andvr headset support for sharing your 360 panoramas.
- YouTube – Upload the spherical pano and enable VR viewing modes for sharing on YouTube.
- Mobile Apps – Apps like Google Street View support uploading and viewing 360°panoramas as well as VR playback if desired.
- Online Galleries – Share and showcase your 360°aerial panoramas on sites like Kuula and Round.me.
Follow best practices for keying in the proper metadata so sites and apps recognize your 360°panoramic files, enable the immersive viewing modes, and optimize the sharing experience.
Final Words about Does the DJI Go App Take 360°Spherical Panoramas
While the DJI Go app lacks a true dedicated 360 mode, drone owners can capture all the photos required for spherical 360° panoramas through some clever techniques and processing the RAW files using specialized stitching software.
The result is captivating 360° aerial views from your DJI drone’s perspective. As drone and mobile camera technology improves, future versions of the DJI Go app may incorporate more streamlined workflows and viewing modes tailored for 360° panoramic content capturing and consumption.
But for now, following the methods outlined here will let you take advantage of your DJI drone’s aerial capabilities to create engaging and immersive 360° panoramas.
To learn more about does the DJI Go App take 360°spherical panoramas, check the following video out:
FAQs about Does the DJI Go App Take 360°Spherical Panoramas
How do you make a 360 picture with a drone?
To capture a 360-degree picture with a drone, you would typically need a drone that supports spherical or panoramic photography. You can set the drone to capture a series of photos at different angles, covering the full 360-degree field of view.
After capturing the photos, you can use specialized software or applications to stitch them together into a single 360-degree image.
Can the DJI Mini 2 take 360 photos?
No, the DJI Mini 2 is not capable of capturing 360-degree photos. It is a compact consumer drone that is primarily designed for aerial photography and videography, but it does not have the capability to capture full spherical or panoramic images.
How do I upload photos to DJI Sphere?
To upload photos to DJI Sphere, follow these steps:
- Install the DJI Sphere app on your mobile device and log in to your DJI account.
- Open the app and tap on the camera icon to access the camera mode.
- Capture a panoramic or spherical photo using the app’s camera interface.
- After capturing the photo, tap on the thumbnail preview to open the photo.
- Tap on the share icon and select the option to upload the photo to DJI Sphere.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the upload process.
How do you upload a 360 Pano to Skypixel?
To upload a 360-degree panorama (360 Pano) to Skypixel, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the Skypixel website and log in to your Skypixel account.
- Click on the Upload button, usually located in the top-right corner of the page.
- Select the 360-degree panorama image you want to upload from your computer.
- Provide a title, description, and any other relevant details for your image.
- Choose the appropriate category and tags for your image.
- Click on the Upload button to start the upload process.
- Wait for the upload to complete, and your 360 Pano will be uploaded to Skypixel.
Insta360 is a company that specializes in 360-degree cameras and related accessories. They offer a range of 360-degree cameras, including standalone devices and camera modules that can be attached to smartphones.
Insta360 cameras are known for their high-quality image and video capture, as well as their user-friendly software and editing capabilities.
DJI Pano refers to the panoramic photography feature available in some DJI drones and DJI’s camera apps. It allows users to capture wide-angle or panoramic images by automatically capturing and stitching together multiple photos.
The DJI Pano feature helps users create stunning panoramic shots without the need for manual photo stitching.