The Best Foldable Drones in 2024 are revolutionizing aerial photography by blending powerful performance with unmatched portability. Foldable drone models allow pilots to collapse the rotating arms to create an ultra-compact form factor that can slip into a backpack or purse. With just a quick unfolding, these drones transform in seconds to deliver stable flight and capture stunning aerial footage and photos. The latest foldable drones boast innovative designs and pack impressive features into their foldable frames like 4K video recording, obstacle avoidance sensors, auto-follow modes, and advanced flight stabilization. For travel photographers, outdoors enthusiasts, or anyone needing a highly portable drone, the Best Foldable Drones in 2024 represent the pinnacle of convenience without sacrificing the capabilities you’d expect from premium drones. Read on to discover this new generation of foldable drones that are taking portability to new heights while letting you enjoy capturing unique viewpoints from above.
In this article I will recommend for you:（12 Best Foldable Drones in 2024）
Let’s started now！
What is a foldable drone?
A foldable drone is a quadcopter or multirotor drone designed with rotors and arms that can fold inwards towards the central body for easy portability and transport.
The key features of foldable drones include:
- Foldable Arms – The motor arms with rotors can rotate and collapse towards the center of the drone body.
- Compact Design – When folded, the drone reduces down to a compact rectangular brick or tube shape that’s much smaller.
- Increased Portability – The ability to fold down to nearly half the full size makes them highly portable to pack and carry.
- Quick Transformation – Foldable drones can unfold within seconds, transforming from travel-friendly size to full flight ready.
- Advanced Features – Folding drones often pack advanced flight tech like obstacle avoidance and subject tracking.
- Camera Integration – Most feature integrated 4K video cameras and stabilization gimbals to capture aerial footage.
Folding mechanisms vary from sliding joints to rotating hinges that allow the arms to swing in snugly. This foldable drone design is ideal for travel, outdoor activities, and any application where maximum portability is important.
What to look for in a portable drone?
- Foldable design – Foldable arms and rotors allow the drone to collapse down to a compact size for carrying and storage.
- Size and weight – Look for models under 250g for easy portability. Larger drones may require FAA registration.
- Flight time – Best portable drones offer 15-30 minutes of flight per charge. Removable batteries allow charging on the go.
- Camera quality – A built-in 4K camera is ideal for travel photography. Some models support stabilizing gimbals and interchangeable lenses.
- Obstacle avoidance – Sensors that detect and avoid obstacles automatically enhance safety.
- Range – A control range of 4km or more allows exploring while maintaining connection.
- Durability – Durable materials that can withstand being tossed in a backpack are important.
- Smart features – Auto return-to-home, follow modes, and pre-programmed flight make operation smooth.
- Warranty – Look for at least a 12-month warranty for defects and issues.
Which Foldable Drones is the Best?
1.Best mini foldable drone with a gimbal (DJI MINI 2)
The DJI Mini 2 is DJI’s very lightweight new folding drone, weighing less than 249g, making it highly portable. It features a 3-axis gimbal stabilization system, enabling high-def video and photos. It also has smart flight modes like hover and auto return home, making it a great choice for beginner pilots.
- Lightweight, no need for aviation registration
- Easy to carry, highly portable for outdoor use
- 31 minutes of flight time
- 4K video shooting
- Relatively affordable pricing
- Mediocre camera quality, no RAW photo support
- No obstacle avoidance
- Weak wind resistance
- Only 6km remote control range
- No extensive smart flight modes
Overall, the DJI Mini 2 offers good value as an entry-level drone, especially suitable for novice users and those seeking a highly portable option. But users wanting higher image quality and more professional features will need to consider more advanced models.
2.Best Foldable drone with obstacle avoidance (Mavic Air 2)
The DJI Mavic Air 2 is a folding consumer drone packing an array of high-end features.
- 4K video and 48MP photo quality
- Advanced obstacle sensing and avoidance
- 34 minutes of flight time
- 10km HD video transmission
- Powerful automated flight and tracking modes
- Lacks side obstacle sensors
- Relatively big and heavy vs. nano drones
- No thermal imaging or night vision
- High price exceeds casual hobbyists’ budget
3.Best Foldable drone with long battery life (Autel Evo 2)
The Autel EVO 2 is a folding drone that competes directly with DJI’s offerings for high-end consumer aerial photography. With a 1-inch camera sensor capable of 8K video and 40-minute flight times, it packs cutting-edge specs in a portable package. Autel touts advanced computer vision and photography features for easy professional shots.
- Large 1-inch image sensor enables stunning photo and 8K video quality
- 40-minutes of maximum flight time on a single charge
- Omnidirectional obstacle avoidance with computer vision
- Intelligent flight modes like orbit, waypoint flying, and subject trackingSmooth onboard camera stabilization even in windy conditions
- Dual GPS and GLONASS positioning for stability
- Very expensive, similar pricing as DJI’s premium drones
- Bulkier and heavier than DJI’s folding designs
- Autel app and user experience not as refined as DJI’s
- Some reported issues with reliability and defects
- Fewer third party accessories and customization options
Overall, the EVO 2 provides an impressive spec sheet on paper that competes with top-tier drones from DJI, but has room for refinement when it comes to real-world performance and polish.
4.Best Professional 5k Foldable Camera drone (Mavic 3)
The DJI Mavic 3 is DJI’s new flagship consumer drone that pushes the boundaries for aerial imaging. It features a large Four Thirds camera sensor capable of 5.1K video and 20MP photos, while maintaining a compact and foldable design. With long 46-minute flight time and 15km transmission range, the Mavic 3 aims to be an ultra-high end imaging drone for pros and enthusiasts.
- Cutting-edge Four Thirds camera sensor produces stunning image quality
- Adjustable aperture from f/2.8 to f/11 for great imaging flexibility
- 5.1K video resolution and 120Mbps bitrate options
- 15km HD video transmission range
- Intelligent shooting modes and obstacle avoidance sensors
- Incredible 46-minute maximum flight time
- Extremely high price, most expensive consumer drone from DJI
- Large size and 795g takeoff weight make it less portable
- Overkill for casual users who don’t need pro-level image quality
In summary, the Mavic 3 is an imaging powerhouse without compromises, catering to professional aerial photographers and videographers, albeit with a towering price tag.
5.Best foldable drone for beginners under $100 (Eachine E520s)
The Eachine E520S is an affordable folding drone with FPV live video capabilities.
- Foldable design for easy transport
- Real-time FPV video transmission
- Altitude hold and headless modes
- Decent flight time of 16 minutes
- Low price under $100
- No onboard camera or gimbal
- Must supply own FPV camera
- Short 100 meter control range
- Lacks intelligent flight features
- Overall build quality is mediocre
6.Best Foldable GPS and gimbal drone under $200 (SJRC F11 4k Pro)
The SJRC F11 4K Pro is a folding drone with professional-grade aerial photography capabilities.
- Foldable design for portability
- Built-in 4K camera on 3-axis gimbal
- 25 minutes of flight time
- Intelligent tracking and navigation
- Quality construction and parts
- High price tag over $500
- Heavy and bulky when folded
- Advanced features have learning curve
- Transmission limited to under 2km
- No integrated obstacle avoidance
7.Best foldable drone under $300 (Hubsan Zino)
The Hubsan Zino is a foldable quadcopter integrated with a 4K camera and 3-axis mechanical gimbal, providing excellent shooting stability. The 22 minutes ultra long flight time meets various filming needs. GPS and visual positioning allows precise hovering. The built-in barometer and optical flow positioning ensure stable flight. Hubsan Zino’s comprehensive design and features make it highly cost-effective.
- High 4K UHD video shooting resolution
- 3-axis gimbal effectively improves shooting stability
- 22 minutes long flight endurance
- Comprehensive GPS and visual positioning system
- Price only around $300, great value
- Relatively heavy body at 795g weight
- Intelligent follow mode requires additional upgrade
- Large wind resistance, be cautious when flying in wind
- Certain maneuver difficulty, not ideal for beginners
In summary, as a budget 4K drone, the Hubsan Zino has considerable competitive advantages in image quality, flight time and stability.
8.Waterproof foldable drone with follow me (PowerVision PowerEgg X)
The PowerVision PowerEgg X is an oval-shaped folding drone with a unique vertical takeoff and landing design.
- Distinctive vertical folding design
- Dual 4K camera with 3-axis gimbal
- 30 minutes of flight time
- IP54 weather sealing rating
- Advanced object tracking modes
- Premium pricing over $1000
- Heavy at over 1kg takeoff weight
- App interface could be refined
- Arms don’t fold flat like most drones
- Object avoidance sensors only face forward
9.Best foldable drone under 250 grams (Xiaomi Fimi x8 mini)
The Xiaomi Fimi X8 Mini is an ultra-light foldable drone with an integrated 4K camera.
- Foldable design fits in a jacket pocket
- Stable 4K video and 12MP photo capture
- Intelligent flight modes and tracking
- Up to 33 minutes of flight time
- Obstacle avoidance sensors
- Still a bit large when folded compared to nano drones
- 4K camera isn’t interchangeable
- Transmission range only 2km
- Advanced features use a lot of battery
- Relatively unknown brand has less support
10.Best Foldable Selfie drone (Dobby Drone)
The Dobby Drone is an ultra-compact foldable drone that fits in your pocket.
- Extremely portable pocket size when folded
- Easy to use with app control
- 13 minute flight time
- Built-in 720p camera with stabilization
- Physical joysticks for maneuvering
- Small size means fewer features
- Camera and video quality are only decent
- Range limited to about 60 meters
- Lacks obstacle avoidance sensors
- Priced a bit high for capabilities
11.Best Folding Gopro Drone (Gopro Karma)
The GoPro Karma is a compact and portable foldable drone designed to carry GoPro action cameras.
- Folds up to fit in included backpack
- Stabilizes GoPro camera footage
- Easy to fly and control
- 20 minute maximum flight time
- Removable camera can be handheld
- Only compatible with GoPro cameras
- Average 15 minute real-world flight time
- No object avoidance sensors
- GoPro no longer produces drone
- Short battery life compared to rivals
12.Best Industrial Foldable Drone (DJI Matrice 200)
The DJI Matrice 200 is a professional foldable drone built for industrial applications and enterprise use.
- Rugged, modular design
- 40 minute flight time
- IP43 weather resistance rating
- 7 km transmission range
- Dual downward visual sensors
- Compatible with gimbals, cameras, sensors
- Very expensive at over $3000
- Large and heavy compared to consumer drones
- Requires experience and training to fly
- Overkill for casual users
- Additional features raise total cost
Final words about Best Foldable Drones
In conclusion, foldable drones represent the future of aerial photography and videography on the go. The best foldable models in 2024 offer an unrivaled mix of portable convenience and powerful performance. With just seconds to unfold, you can be capturing stunning 4K footage across vast landscapes or tight cityscapes. Obstacle avoidance and tracking deliver automated flight capabilities once reserved for bulky professional rigs. As the technology improves, expect even more compact folding designs with extended battery life. For hiking, travel, and all-day adventures, the convenience of the Best Foldable Drones in 2024 is a game changer. Just slip it in your bag and unfold a world of stunning perspectives from above anywhere you roam. The sky is truly the limit for this revolution in highly portable aerial imaging.
Know more about the best foldable drone，please check the video out：
FAQs about Best Foldable Drones
What are the benefits of a folding drone?
The main benefits are portability, ease of transport, and quick deployment. Folding allows them to shrink down small enough to pack in a bag or backpack.
How quickly can they fold and unfold?
Most folding drones can fully unfold in under a minute to become flight ready. High-end models take only seconds to unfold.
Do foldable drones sacrifice durability?
No, most quality folding drones use durable materials and folding joints. Their longevity is comparable to regular drones.
Does the folding mechanism affect flight performance?
When unfolded, there is generally no difference in flight capabilities compared to similar non-folding drones.
Do foldable drones have cameras?
Yes, most current folding drone models come with built-in 4K or 1080p video cameras and gimbal stabilization.
What accessories are useful?
Extra batteries, propellor guards, landing pads, and a robust carrying case help optimize foldable drone use.
What are the regulations for traveling with folding drones?
Regulations vary, but most airlines allow folding drones in carry-on bags. Batteries must be removed.
What are the best uses for folding drones?
Their portability makes them ideal for travel, hiking, family vacations, outdoor sports, and other on-the-go situations.
What flight times can I expect?
Average flight times run 15-30 minutes. Newer models are pushing up towards 40+ minutes per charge.
How much does a quality folding drone cost?
Folding consumer drones range from $400-$1000. High-end prosumer models cost $2000+.