Drones with onboard zoom cameras provide pilots with dynamic perspectives and framing abilities that greatly expand creative aerial capabilities. In 2024, consumer and professional drone technology will continue advancing to integrate even more powerful zoom lenses and camera systems.
In this article I will recommend this drones for you:
1、DJI Mavic 2 Zoom
2、DJI Mavic 3
3、Autel Evo II
Let’s started now！
What is drones with zoom camera？
Drones with zoom cameras have the ability to optically magnify and enhance the composition of aerial photos and videos. Rather than moving the entire drone closer to a subject, optical zoom uses internal lens elements to achieve a tight perspective without losing image quality. Zoom camera drones typically have a range of up to 3x or 4x optical magnification, allowing pilots to capture more detail and dynamic footage. Popular models like the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom and Autel Evo II Dual integrate zoom directly into the camera system with multiple lenses. Other advantages include maintaining distance from subjects, highlighting specific areas, and enabling creative framing techniques in aerial cinematography. While adding cost and complexity, zoom capability expands the creative potential of drone cameras through adjustable field of view and perspective.
What are the main features of zoom camera？
- Optical zoom vs digital zoom – optical zoom is better as it doesn’t degrade image quality.
- Zoom magnification or range – typically 2x-4x optical zoom capability.
- Multiple lenses – some drones have separate lenses for normal view and zoomed view.
- Lens aperture – affects light intake and depth of field, commonly f/2.8 to f/4.
- Gimbal integration – allows the camera to stabilize footage when zooming.
- Photo and video resolution – should support 4K, 5.7K or higher quality video recording.
What should you pay attention to when buying a drones with zoom camera?
- Your budget – zoom drones cost more than fixed lens models.
- Your experience level – zoom drones have a learning curve for beginners.
- Image quality needed – zoom is great for detail but may not match large sensors on pro drones.
- Features beyond zoom – also consider flight time, range, obstacle avoidance etc.
- Brand reliability – established players like DJI and Autel are safer bets.
- Intended use cases – think about the types of projects and shots you want to capture.
- Controls and interface – test if the app and remote make zooming straightforward.
3 Best Drones With Zoom Cameras in 2024
|Max Video Resolution
|DJI Mavic 2 Zoom
|DJI Mavic 3
|Autel Evo II
1、DJI Mavic 2 Zoom 🌟🌟🌟🌟
The DJI Mavic 2 Zoom is a folding consumer drone capable of 2x optical zoom to capture closer perspectives and adjust composition while flying.
- 2x lossless zoom gets you closer without moving the drone
- 24-48mm lens provides flexibility in field of view
- 4K video and 12MP photo capture produce crisp, stable results
- Omnidirectional obstacle sensing increases safety
- 31 minutes of max flight time on a full charge
- Advanced stabilization and tracking modes
- Foldable, portable design convenient for travel
- More expensive than Mavic 2 Pro and other drones
- Narrower aperture compared to fixed lens drones
- Lower megapixel images than some competitors
- Zooming can be tricky for new pilots to master
- 2x zoom range is still limited compared to bigger lenses
- Panoramas can be challenging with a zoom lens
2、DJI Mavic 3 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
The DJI Mavic 3 is DJI’s new flagship consumer drone released in 2021, representing a major update to the high-end Mavic series. Equipped with a 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad camera, the Mavic 3 delivers unprecedented image quality for a drone of its size. It’s designed for aerial photographers and videographers who want pro-level creative shots.
- Exceptional 20MP Hasselblad camera with large 4/3 CMOS sensor
- 5.1K video recording up to 50fps
- 15km HD video transmission range
- 46 minutes maximum flight time
- Four-way obstacle avoidance sensors
- Four microphones for better audio recording
- Dual-battery charging case
- Very expensive at $2,200 starting price
- Heavier than other compact drones (895g takeoff weight)
- Significant noise from propellers
- Overkill for casual users’ needs
- Advanced features have learning curve
In summary, the Mavic 3 is DJI’s best drone camera ever, with unmatched image quality from its large sensor. It excels at professional-level aerial photography and videography. But the high price and complexity make it harder to justify for more casual drone users.
3、Autel Evo II 🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Autel EVO II is a folding drone built for professional aerial photography and cinematography. This high-end drone features a 48MP 1/2-inch camera capable of shooting 8K video at 30fps. With a max video bitrate of 120Mbps and HDR capabilities, the EVO II produces incredibly detailed, vibrant footage. Some of the biggest pros of this drone are its industry-leading 8K video resolution, 40 minutes of flight time on a single charge, and omni-directional obstacle avoidance sensors.
- Industry-leading 8K video resolution
- 48MP 1/2-inch camera
- 40 minute flight time per battery
- Advanced stabilization and low noise
- Omni-directional obstacle avoidance
- Very high $1395 base price
- Large size makes it less portable
- Advanced app could be complex for beginners
The EVO II also boasts excellent stabilization and low-noise performance even in windy conditions. However, there are some downsides to consider with this premium drone. It carries a very high $1395 base price that caters more to professional creatives. The large form factor also makes it less portable than some competitors. While more advanced fliers will benefit from Autel’s robust app control, it may prove overly complex for beginner hobbyists. Overall though, the Autel EVO II stands as one of the top drones for 8K video and extended flight time.
Final words about Best Drones With Zoom Cameras
From adjustable prime lenses to multi-camera arrangements, the latest drones coming in 2024 look set to deliver unmatched optical zoom ranges. Companies are pushing zoom technology forward to give pilots more professional filming and inspection tools right from the air. The best zoom camera drones of 2024 will bring subjects closer and enable clearer aerial insights without compromising on image quality.
Know more about the Best Drones With Zoom Cameras, please check the following video out:
FAQs about Best Drones With Zoom Cameras
Which drones currently have optical zoom cameras?
Some models with optical zoom include the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom, Autel Evo 2 series, PowerVision PowerEgg X Wizard, and Parrot Anafi.
What is the difference between optical and digital zoom?
Optical zoom physically adjusts lenses for closer view without reducing image quality. Digital zoom simply enlarges a portion of the image, resulting in lower resolution.
How much zoom range do these drones have?
Zoom capabilities vary but can be 2x, 3x, up to 6x optical magnification. Digital zoom may be up to 8-10x but has quality tradeoffs.
Does zoom help improve aerial photo/video quality?
Yes, zoom allows magnifying details without moving the drone closer, maintaining framing and perspective.
Do drones with zoom cameras cost more?
Yes, the zoom lenses and gimbal mechanisms add cost. Expect to spend $200-$400 more than basic drones.
What other key features do zoom drones have?
A: Most also shoot 4K or higher quality video, have obstacle avoidance, subject tracking and 30+ minute flight times.
Are zoom drones suitable for beginners?
Intermediate and expert pilots will get the most out of zoom. Beginners may want to learn on basic drones first.
What are the best uses for a zoom drone?
Zoom excels at inspections, filming action sports/events, nature photography, and aerial cinematography requiring dynamic perspectives.