In 2024, mini drones under 250 grams are poised to offer new capabilities in compact airframes. Thanks to advances in miniaturization, drone makers can pack more features into tiny drones the size of a smartphone. Expect to see extended flight times over 30 minutes, built-in high-resolution cameras, and improved stability and safety features. These ultraportable drones will enable new recreational and commercial use cases.
And this article will contain the best of the best in all those categories and more，also read：
In this article I will recommend this drones for you:
1、DJI Mavic Mini
3、Potensic Dreamer Pro
4、Holy Stone HS720E
5、FIMI X8 SE
8、Hubsan Zino Mini Pro
9、Autel Nano +
10、Parrot Mambo FPV
Let’s started now！
What is mini drones？
Mini drones are a class of small, lightweight drones that offer a portable and accessible way for beginner and hobbyist drone pilots to get started. They are typically under 250g in weight and about 3 to 5 inches in size, measured diagonally from motor to motor.
These compact drones pack many of the same features as their larger counterparts into a tiny frame. This includes things like HD video cameras, intuitive flight controls, altitude hold and hover capabilities, gesture control, voice commands, and smartphone apps.
The small size allows mini drones to be flown indoors as well as outdoors. Their short 15-30 minute flight times are made possible by lightweight lithium polymer batteries. Despite their tiny batteries, some mini drones can still achieve speeds of 30 mph and operate at ranges up to 100 meters.
While lacking some of the advanced capabilities of bigger drones, mini models provide an affordable entry point for recreational and casual drone use. Their portability also makes them great to pack along for travel and outdoor adventures. Key things to consider are the camera quality, range, flight time, and overall reputation of the mini drone brand.
So in summary, mini drones offer beginner-friendly features and portability in a small package that can be flown for fun anywhere. Their compact size makes them easy to transport and deploy on the go.
What are the main features of mini drones？
- Size and weight – Mini drones are typically under 250g for easy portability and less regulation. Look for compact drones with propeller guards.
- Flight time – Battery life ranging from 10-30 minutes. Higher is better for uninterrupted flying.
- Camera – Built-in HD cameras for photography and videography are common. Some offer camera interchangeability.
- Sensors – Obstacle avoidance sensors, GPS, optical flow sensors for stability.
- Range – Operating range around 2-5 km, less than larger drones. WiFi vs RC connectivity.
- Speed and agility – Fast motors and low weight provide responsive flying. High max speeds.
What should you pay attention to when buying a mini drones?
- Intended use – Photography, racing, toys, etc. Match features to your needs.
- Skill level – Beginner friendly drones have simpler controls and more automation.
- Budget – Prices range from under $100 to $1000+ for high-end mini drones.
- Regulations – Check laws on drone registration and flying locations.
- Spare parts – Availability of replacements like batteries and propellers.
- Safety features – Return to home, warning sensors, auto-landing, etc.
10 Best mini drones in 2024
|Drone Model||Weight||Flight Time||Camera Resolution||Range||Price||Rating|
|DJI Mavic Mini||249g||30 min||2.7K||4km||$399||★★★★☆|
|snaptain SP500||128g||20 min||720p||80m||$64.99||★★★☆☆|
|Potensic Dreamer Pro||249g||28 min||2K||2km||$299.99||★★★★☆|
|Holy Stone HS720E||242g||26 min||4K||3.1mi||$299.99||★★★☆☆|
|FIMI X8 SE||239g||33 min||4K||8km||$439||★★★★★|
|Ryze Tello||80g||13 min||720p||100m||$99||★★☆☆☆|
|DJI Mini SE||199g||28 min||2.7K||4km||$299||★★★☆☆|
|Hubsan Zino Mini Pro||249g||28 min||4K||4km||$349||★★★★☆|
|Autel Nano +||249g||40 min||4K||6.2mi||$949||★★★★★|
|Parrot Mambo FPV||63g||9 min||720p||60m||$139||★★☆☆☆|
1、DJI Mavic Mini
The DJI Mavic Mini is one of the most popular and beginner-friendly small drones available today. This tiny but capable drone weighs just 249g, making it exempt from drone registration requirements in many countries. Despite its small size, the Mavic Mini delivers stunning 4K video and 12MP photos thanks to its onboard camera stabilized by a 3-axis motorized gimbal. With a maximum flight time of 30 minutes and range of 4km, this compact drone packs impressive performance. Intelligent flight modes like QuickShots lets you capture complex shots with just a tap. For its size and price point, the Mavic Mini is unmatched when it comes to portability and ease of use.
- Ultra portable and lightweight (249g)
- No drone registration required
- Long 30 minute flight time
- Impressive 4km transmission range
- Exceptional camera and gimbal for stable footage
- Intelligent flight and camera modes
- Beginner-friendly and easy to fly
- No obstacle avoidance sensors
- Smaller camera sensor than more expensive models
- Occasional WiFi interference or transmission issues
- Less powerful compared to larger drones
- No redundant IMUs like pricier drones
The Snaptain SP500 folds up into a compact palm-sized drone that belies its array of features perfect for beginners. Priced at around $80, it boasts intelligent voice, gesture, and app control schemes, 1080p video recording, and a 15 minute flight time. While it lacks some of the more advanced capabilities of high-end drones, its incredibly approachable interface and budget-friendly price make this a top choice as an introductory drone.
- Affordable at around $80
- 1080p camera with wide angle lens
- 15 minutes of flight time per charge
- Voice, gesture, and app control
- Optical flow positioning for stability
- One-key takeoff and landing
- No gimbal for stabilized video footage
- Range limited to 50-80 meters
- No GPS for hold in place or return to home
- Lacks follow me and active tracking modes
- Lightweight airframe susceptible to wind
- No sensors for obstacle avoidance
In summary, the Snaptain SP500 offers beginners an easy entrance into drone flying thanks to its extremely intuitive controls scheme and long 15 minute flight time. While it lacks some key features of high-end drones, its incredibly low barrier to entry makes it a top choice as a starter drone. Just be ready to upgrade as your skills progress.
3、Potensic Dreamer Pro
The Potensic Dreamer Pro packs impressive performance into an affordable package with its 2K camera, Optical Flow positioning and 24min flight times.
- Stunning 2K HD camera and 110° FOV
- Intuitive app control through your phone
- Optical Flow and GPS dual-positioning
- Automatic return home when battery is low
- Follow Me, orbit and waypoint modes
- Carrying case included
- Shorter 600m control range
- No collison avoidance sensors
- Camera fixed, no gimbal
- Lacks advanced automated flight modes
- Struggles in windy conditions
4、Holy Stone HS720E
The Holy Stone HS720E is a foldable drone with a 4K camera and several intelligent flight modes. Here are some pros and cons:
- Foldable and portable design makes it easy to transport.
- Features a 4K camera capable of recording sharp, stable video footage.
- Intelligent flight modes like Follow Me, Orbit, and Waypoints allow for creative shots.
- Long flight time of 22 minutes from the 3500mAh battery.
- Obstacle avoidance sensors in front help prevent collisions.
- Lacks advanced features like tracking or object avoidance.
- Controller range is only about 1000 feet, less than some competitors.
- Camera quality is decent but may lack detail in low light conditions.
- Does not come with any storage so you need to supply your own micro SD card.
In summary, the HS720E is a solid mid-range drone with good 4K video capabilities in a portable folding design. While it lacks some of the features of premium drones, it provides good value given its sub-$300 price point. The intelligent flight modes make capturing complex shots easy. Overall it’s a good option for hobbyist drone users looking for their first 4K camera drone.
5、FIMI X8 SE
The FIMI X8 SE is an advanced foldable drone designed for aerial photography and videography. It packs in features like 4K/30fps video recording, built-in gimbal stabilization, 33 minutes of flight time, and intelligent flight modes. Navigating the X8 SE is easy with GPS-based positioning and the user-friendly FIMI Go app. Its lightweight yet durable design makes it a great drone for travel and outdoor adventures.
- Compact and foldable design
- Shoots 4K video and 48MP photos
- 3-axis mechanical gimbal stabilization
- Up to 33 minutes of flight time
- Obstacle avoidance and tracking modes
- GPS-based positioning system
- Dedicated remote control included
- App has some bugs and connectivity issues
- No adjustable aperture camera
- Vision positioning struggles in low light
- Fewer automated flight modes than competitors
- Range limited compared to higher end drones
- Propellers can be fragile and prone to breakage
The Ryze Tello is a mini drone focused on being easy and fun to fly for beginners. Weighing only 80 grams, this ultra portable quadcopter can pull off flips and maneuvers using its Vision Positioning System and onboard barometer. The Tello transmits photos and videos in 720p resolution directly to your smartphone via its built-in 5MP camera. While not offering the most advanced features, it has impressive stability and optic flow-powered hover precision for its size. Some of the key pros of the Ryze Tello are its incredibly low $99 price point making it one of the cheapest drones available. Its lightweight and small design makes it safe and perfect for indoor flight. Intuitive controls through the Tello app also make it ideal for learning to fly.
- Extremely affordable at $99
- Lightweight and safe for indoor flying
- Easy to control through Tello app
- Good choice for flying practice
- Very short 100m range
- Only 720p video resolution
- Barebones camera and video features
- Battery only lasts 13 minutes
However, the short 100 meter range and barebones 13 minute battery life leave much to be desired. Video and image quality is also limited. For users wanting high-quality aerial footage and advanced features, this basic drone understandably falls short. But for a first drone to practice flying skills without worrying about expensive crashes, the Ryze Tello is an unbeatable value.
7、DJI Mini SE
The DJI Mini SE is DJI’s most affordable and beginner-friendly drone yet. Weighing less than 249g, it condenses core flying and imaging capabilities into an ultra-light package. The Mini SE shoots stabilized 2.7K video and 12MP photos with its 1/2.3″ CMOS sensor while providing over 30 minutes of flight time. Its compact and intuitive design makes it easy for anyone to get in the air and start capturing great aerial shots.
- Lightweight and highly portable
- 2.7K video resolution and 12MP photos
- 30+ minutes of flight time
- Intuitive DJI Fly app
- Multiple quick shot modes
- Under 250g for flexible regulations
- Affordably priced
- No 4K video recording
- Less advanced features than DJI’s premium drones
- Lower image quality in low light
- No front/rear obstacle sensing
- Less powerful motors than larger drones
- Can’t resist high winds as well
8、Hubsan Zino Mini Pro
The Hubsan Zino Mini Pro is a compact drone designed for portable aerial photography and videography. Released in 2021, the Zino Mini Pro folds down to a compact size while still integrating a 4K camera on a 3-axis gimbal, 33 minutes of flight time, and a 10km transmission range.
- Lightweight and foldable design for easy portability
- Long 10km control range
- 33 minutes of flight time per battery
- Advanced 4K camera stabilized on a 3-axis gimbal
- Intelligent flight modes like orbit and waypoint control
- Obstacle avoidance sensors
- Lacks omnidirectional obstacle sensing of higher end drones
- 4K camera may lack image quality of larger sensors
- Top speed is just 44 mph
- No interchangeable lenses like some prosumer models
- Overall build quality isn’t as robust as premium drones
In summary, the Hubsan Zino Mini Pro hits a sweet spot between portability and performance, making it a great traveling drone for aerial photography and videography on the go. Just expect some compromises compared to more expensive professional drones.
9、Autel Nano +
The Autel Nano + is a compact consumer drone focused on portability and ease of use. Despite its small size, it packs a punch with a stabilized 4K camera, 3-axis gimbal, and impressive 30 minutes of flight time. Intelligent flight modes like orbit, waypoint, and panorama help capture professional-level aerial photos and video. The Nano Plus is a great option for travel-friendly aerial photography.
- Ultra-portable and lightweight airframe design
- Up to 4K/30fps video and 12MP photos
- 3-axis stabilization gimbal for smooth footage
- Advanced computer vision positioning
- Intuitive mobile app interface
- Under 250g for flexible regulations
- Not as fast or agile as racing drones
- Lower video resolution than some competitors
- Advanced flying takes practice
- Smaller 1/2.3” CMOS sensor
- Occasional firmware issues
- No hyperlapse or 360 panorama modes
10、Parrot Mambo FPV
The Parrot Mambo FPV is an ultra-lightweight drone that gives you a true first person view flying experience. Weighing just 63g, it’s incredibly nimble and easy to transport. The Mambo FPV is controlled using your smartphone mounted into a VR style headset. It streams real-time video from the drone’s 720p camera to give you that immersive pilot perspective. Flight time is approximately 9 minutes.
- Extremely lightweight and portable
- Fun and immersive FPV flying via headset
- Easy to control with smartphone app
- Affordable price point
- Replaceable parts readily available
- Very short battery life at only 9 minutes
- Low resolution 720p camera
- Short wifi video transmission range
- FPV headset requires phone to be attached
- Small size makes it fragile and easy to lose
While it won’t compete on camera quality or flight time, the Mambo FPV offers an accessible entry point into first person view drone flying. Its size makes it great for indoor use too. Just be prepared for the short flying times per battery charge.
With enhanced abilities in smaller packages, 2024’s mini drones under 250g will provide an appealing combination of portability and performance. As regulations ease for these low-weight drones in many countries, consumers and businesses can take advantage of their big capabilities. We’ll see mini drones pushing boundaries in aerial photography, racing, infrastructure inspection and more. The future is small but full of potential for mini drones in 2024 and beyond.
Know more about the mini drones, please check the following video out:
What are the most popular mini drone models?
Some of the top mini drones are the DJI Mavic Mini, Holy Stone HS170, Potensic Elfin Mini, Snaptain SP650, and the Ryze Tello.
What size are considered ‘mini drones’?
Mini drones are generally under 250 grams in weight and measure around 3 to 5 inches diagonally from motor to motor. This compact size makes them very portable.
What features do mini drones have?
Mini drones are equipped with things like built-in cameras, altitude hold, gesture control, voice commands, GPS, optical flow sensors, follow me modes, and smartphone control apps.
What are the advantages of mini drones?
The main advantages are their ease of transport, quick setup time, good safety features, and capability to fly indoors or outdoors. They also tend to be very affordable.
What are the limitations of mini drones?
Limitations include shorter flight times of 5-30 minutes due to smaller batteries, limited operating range, smaller image sensors on cameras, and fewer advanced features compared to larger drones.
Do I need to register a mini drone?
In most countries, mini drones under 250g do not require registration or licensing to fly recreationally. Always check local laws though.
What should I look for when buying a mini drone?
Look for flight time, camera quality, range, smart flight modes, battery life, durability, spare parts availability, customer support, and overall value for money.
What accessories are useful to have with a mini drone?
Extra batteries, battery chargers, propeller guards, landing pads, carrying cases, external storage, and FPV goggles are very handy mini drone accessories.
Where is it legal to fly a mini drone?
Mini drones can be flown recreationally in wide open areas away from people, airports, and sensitive sites. Avoid restricted airspace at all times.
What safety tips should I follow?
Fly below 400 feet altitude, keep your drone within line of sight, don’t fly near other aircraft or over groups of people, avoid bad weather conditions, and inspect your drone before each flight.
Hello, I’m Eliza. an expert in drone technology, I provide in-depth analysis on the evolution and impact of drones from various perspectives – technical capabilities, policy considerations, societal implications. Through balanced and nuanced reporting, I aim to advance thoughtful discussions on this rapidly changing field. I look forward to exchanging ideas on the promise and perils of drones.